XXUGNI1 Android 4.4.2 is now available as the most latest software update for the Galaxy S4 I9500. This firmware build will be based on the same Android 4.4.2 version as the one before this. Security fixes, driver updates, bug fixes and greater compatibility make this a maintenance update. Boasting an Octa-Core chipset, this phone is set to impress. Certain Asian regions have this update only. Finding this update on Samsung KIES and OTA (Over-the-air) will be difficult however we have a easy fix for that. The fix is, updating your phone manually. A little more hassle than updating through Samsung but we assure you it will be worth it. Also, our guide is made to address to everyone and anyone regardless of their computer skills. Users running stock or going into boot-loop can use this guide to restore back to factory settings. Galaxy S4 I9500 can be easily updated to XXUGNI1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware via our easy guide — and for those who have already installed, you can root this firmware.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you how to install XXUGNI1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S4 I9500 using ODIN. Please note, XXUGNI1 Android 4.4.2 firmware is an official firmware by Samsung, not a custom or modified firmware hence we won’t require you to install custom recovery. We have also given some tips on how to backup your phone data and have given some other important tips. Don’t forget to backup all your apps and personal data as a precaution. Valuable data such as photos and documents are at risk of being lost as well so we recommend a full fledged backup before going ahead. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.4.2 XXUGNI1 Firmware Details:
Model name: GALAXY S4
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 02:22:13 +0000
Product Code: XSP
You might find these following Galaxy S4 I9500 related articles interesting:
- Root Tutorial: How to Root Galaxy S4 on Android 4.4.2 XXUGNI1 Official Firmware.
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery: How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery 6 on Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Install TWRP Recovery: How to Install TWRP Touch Recovery on Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Install Stock Recovery: How to Install Stock Recovery on Galaxy S4 I9500.
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root Galaxy S4 I9500, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
Samsung Galaxy S4 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and KitKat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now head below and update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.4.2 XXUGNI1 official firmware update.
How to Install XXUGNI1 Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4 I9500
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.2 XXUGNI1. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing on your device.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- I9500XXUGNI1 is an official firmware by Samsung for the Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Double check and read the tips on the previous page once again to make sure everything is in order.
Rooting Warning: This is an official Android 4.4.2 build XXUGNI1 update for Galaxy S4 I9500, which means you will lose root as soon as you install this update. You will again have to root Galaxy S4 to gain full system access and be able to install root apps again. See here: How to Root Galaxy S4 on Android 4.4.2 XXUGNI1 Official Firmware.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 4.4.2 I9500XXUGNI1 for Galaxy S4 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 – Download ODIN v3.09 which will help you to install Android 4.4.2 on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500.
Step 3 – Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode. Read here: How to Enter Download Mode on Samsung Galaxy S4.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy S4 USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 – If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 – Now select the files that you have to flash/install on your phone. These files are to be found from the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click on ‘AP/PDA’ and select file with ‘CODE’ in its name.
- Click on ‘CP/Phone’ and select file with ‘MODEM’ in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on ‘CSC’ and select file with CSC’ in its name. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Click on ‘PIT’ and select the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
Step 8 – In ODIN, check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you selected a .PIT file in the above step.
Step 9 – Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 – After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy S4 has now been updated to Android 4.4.2 build XXUGNI1 firmware update. Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
Now that you have updated to the all new XXUGNI1 Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update, you can root your phone from here: How to Root Galaxy S4 on Android 4.4.2 XXUGNI1 Official Firmware.
Hit +1 or LIKE as a thanks to us!
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.