You can now update Xperia Z C6602 / C6603 with PhilZ ClockworkMod Recovery 6 (CWM) for easy installation of modes and most importantly, you will now be able to root Xperia Z on any firmware. PhilZ is a custom recovery based on two flavours, ClockworkMod Recovery 6 and TWRP, with lots of extra features and options. This recovery will allow you to make Nandroid backups which are a complete backup of your device, root and install custom ROMs, install themes on your phone etc. You can update Xperia Z C6602 / C6603 with PhilZ ClockworkMod Recovery 6 using the tutorial below.
This tutorial will show you all the steps required to install PhilZ ClockworkMod Recovery on the Sony Xperia Z C6602 / C6603. Using this tutorial voids your warranty, but you can get it back if you need it. This tutorial also works on the newest firmware version by Sony. At the same time, it will install CWM and TWRP as well, so you can use those at your convenience, if needed. This is one of the easiest ways to install PhilZ CWM Recovery on your Xperia Z and it doesn’t even require root the phone or unlocking the bootloader. Let’s move on to the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: We, the writers, editors and other members of TeamAndroid.com are not responsible if you brick or otherwise damage your device and lose your data. Remember. you are choosing to do this tutorial. No one is forcing you.
PhilZ ClockworkMod Recovery 6 for Xperia Z Details:
This CWM Recovery will allow you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this CWM Recovery on their phones using a modified version by PhilZ. PhilZ Touch Recovery is a CWM Advanced Edition that adds all the features you could ever miss in ClockworkMod. It also adds a full touch interface with a completely configurable GUI.
Sony Xperia Z C6602 / C6603 has a huge list of custom ROMs, because of its popularity and most of them are installed using CWM. Of course, you can always enjoy the added benefits of a custom recovery with ClockworkMod 6.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Sony Xperia Z, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Root Xperia Z: How to Root Xperia Z with SuperSU – Complete Tutorial.
- CWM for Xperia Z1: How to Install PhilZ ClockworkMod Recovery 6 on Sony Xperia Z1.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Xperia Z custom ROMs, click here!
Sony Xperia Z USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Sony Xperia Z properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial on how to install PhilZ is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Sony users can also back up data using Sony PC Companion. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Sony Xperia Z backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page on how to install PhilZ ClockworkMod Recovery 6 on on Sony Xperia Z C6602 / C6603.