A few months ago, a number of weaknesses were revealed in Android, known as Master Key vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities would allow APK files from fake developers to appear as if they were from the actual developer of the app to your phone. Sounds scary, isn’t it? Master-Key Multi-Fix is an Xposed module that fixes these weaknesses/vulnerabilities and makes your Android device much more secure. Master Key Multi-Fix requires that Xposed Framework and Xposed Installer should already be installed. How? Read our tutorial: How to Install Xposed Framework on Android Devices.
Master Key Multi-Fix makes it extremely easy to secure your phone from malicious APK files. It also requires no messy custom flashing, and is easily reversible, which reduces the chances of bricking your Android phone or tablet or needing to re-flash your custom ROM or the official firmware in case something goes wrong. As you continue reading below, we will describe everything you need to do in order to install Master Key Multi-Fix on your Android device. This is part of our series on Xposed Framework and its modules.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs, firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or any other software mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. TeamAndroid.com and its associates are not responsible if you brick or otherwise damage your device or lose your data. Remember, no one is forcing you to do this!
Backup and Other Important Tips
The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Download Xposed-Disabler-Recovery.zip from this XDA post to your SD card. In the unlikely event that an Xposed Module prevents the phone from booting, you can flash this in recovery to regain access to your phone.
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
- Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat.
- Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
All set and ready? Good. You can now read below and find out how to install Master Key Multi-Fix.
How to install Master Key Multi-Fix on an Android Device
Before you continue to performing the steps given below, take a minute and read everything given below first. Just to make sure you have everything needed in this tutorial.
Step 1 – Install Xposed Framework if you haven’t already. (Read: How to Install Xposed Framework on Android Devices)
Step 2 – Open the Xposed Installer App.
Step 3 – Go to Downloads and download the Master Key Multi-Fix Module.
Step 4 – Install the APK file as usual. (Read: How to Install Android APK Manually)
Step 5 – Press Back until you are at the main Xposed Installer screen.
Step 6 – Tap Modules.
Step 7 – Check the Master Key Multi-Fix Module from the list.
Step 8 – Restart your device, and wait for a minute or two until the phone has properly started.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Master Key Multi-Fix on your device.
Your phone is now protected from the Master Key exploits.