We just wrote how you can install CM10.2 Android 4.3 based custom ROM on the Sony Xperia Z, and the same can now be installed on the Xperia ZL as well. Official Android 4.3 for the Sony Xperia ZL still has to be announced by Sony, but the CyanogenMod 10.2 team has already made an early build available for everyone to try out. This is far from complete and most of the features won’t even work, but for those who do want to try out — check out the complete tutorial given below. You can update Xperia ZL to CM10.2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom firmware using the tutorial below. This is not an official release by Sony, but just a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod in order to flash the ROM zip and Google Apps zip files on your phone.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install CM10.2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM on Xperia ZL with complete steps using CWM recovery. We also have several tips on how to backup your phone data and also some more tips that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the tutorial on the next page. You will have to wipe your previous personal data and apps as usual when installing custom ROMs. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s begin with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
CM10.2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean ROM Details:
NOTE: Since this is an unofficial CM10.2 nightly build, make sure you know that after installing this firmware update, your Android device can get FC errors, boot loops, several other bugs, apps might not work or worse, your phone might not boot. To fix, you will have to reinstall stock firmware or any other stable custom ROM.
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Sony Xperia ZL, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Android 4.2.2 Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Xperia ZL custom ROMs, click here!
Like this CM10.2 ROM based on the latest Android 4.3? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Sony Xperia ZL USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Sony Xperia ZL properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Sony users can also back up data using Sony PC Companion. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Sony Xperia ZL backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Xperia ZL to CM10.2 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean custom firmware.