Motorola Droid 4 users can now enjoy the latest AOKP Build 6 custom ROM that was released a while ago. This ROM brings the latest Jelly Bean firmware update for your phone, even when Motorola has no plans to officially update the phone. We have also written guides on how to install AOKP Build 4 and AOKP Build 5. New features? We have given a list below in this post — not to forget the huge number of features added by the AOKP team in the previous releases. If interested in Android 4.2.2 for other phones, check out our new Custom ROMs section. You can update Droid 4 XT894 to Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 6 Jelly Bean custom firmware using the tutorial below. This is not an official release by Motorola, but just a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod in order to flash the ROM zip and Google Apps zip files on your phone.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 6 Jelly Bean ROM on Droid 4 XT894 with complete steps using CWM recovery. We also have several tips on how to backup your phone data and also some more tips that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the tutorial on the next page. You will have to wipe your previous personal data and apps as usual when installing custom ROMs. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s begin with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 6 Jelly Bean ROM Details:
UPDATE: CM10.2 with the latest Android 4.3 is now available for this Android phone. Read here for the tutorial.
This amazing AOKP Build 6 custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. A quick list of the main features in AOKP Build 6 is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your Droid 4 XT894:
- Fully rEvamped NavBar and Lockscreen UI in ROMControl
- Themeable lockscreen
- Scrollable toggleS are back
- WebGL on the Nexus 10
- Option to daydream on wireless charger
- Volume adjusT sound preference
- Open sOurce Superuser thanks to Koush
- StatusBar hide toggle
- Sleep toggle
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Motorola Droid 4, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Android 4.2.2 Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of Droid 4 XT894 custom ROMs, click here!
Like this AOKP Build 6 ROM based on the latest Android 4.2.2? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Motorola Droid 4 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Motorola Droid 4 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Motorola Droid 4 backup data to Samsung Galaxy S.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Droid 4 XT894 to Android 4.2.2 AOKP Build 6 Jelly Bean custom firmware.