Android 4.2 Jelly Bean is now available for AT&T Samsung Captivate SGH-I897. Of course, not an official firmware update. This custom ROM is based on the latest AOSP release of Android 4.2 with some bits from CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1). This ROM is still a work in progress and the developer has just released an initial preview version. You can now install Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Preview on AT&T Samsung Captivate I897 using the tutorial below. Please note, ClockworkMod recovery or any custom recovery is required to install this custom firmware.
As you read further, we will guide you how to backup your important data, some other important tips and then tell you how to update AT&T Samsung Captivate I897 with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Preview ROM with complete steps using ClockworkMod recovery. Make sure you backup all the data as we will have to wipe your previous personal data and apps. Let’s begin with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.2 Jelly Bean ROM Details:
What works in this ROM? Almost everything you can think of, RIL, Data, Wifi, Camera, Audio, GPS, TV-Out, mounting external SD card on PC, December, etc.
More features and options will be added as this ROM proceeds to further releases and build versions.
AT&T Samsung Captivate USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for AT&T Samsung Captivate properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now head over to the next page and update AT&T Samsung Captivate I897 with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Preview custom ROM.