The latest ICS firmware, XWLPW Android 4.0.4, was rolled out last month in India and as it got rolled out in your region for you, many of you would have updated to it. Along with that, you can now also root Android 4.0.4 XWLPW on Galaxy S2. You can now easily root Galaxy S2 I9100 with XWLPW Android 4.0.4 ICS using the tutorial given below. We will use SiyahKernel v4.0 custom kernel to root.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to root XWLPW Android 4.0.4 ICS on Galaxy S2 I9100 using ODIN. Go to Settings > About phone to verify what build you have. Please make sure you backup all your apps and personal data as a precaution before proceeding. Let’s continue with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
This root method tutorial is only for the official stock firmware. Custom firmwares are usually pre-rooted but even if you need to root any, flash SiyahKernel using ClockworkMod recovery.
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S II to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S2 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and root Galaxy S2 I9100 on XWLPW Android 4.0.4 ICS official stock firmware.