HTC Explorer users has finally received a relatively better working build of Android 4.0.4 ICS (CyanogenMod 9 – CM9) for their phone. If Galaxy Y S5360 could get a taste of Jelly Bean on their phones, then why can’t HTC Explorer get ICS Android 4.0.4, all thanks to the XDA-Developers member sakindia123.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to install ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9 custom firmware on HTC Explorer with complete step-by-step instructions. Please make sure you backup your data as given below because you never know when something might go wrong with the phone. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
- FM Radio(Use Spirit FM from Play Store)
- Hardware Acceleration(man itz smooth)
What Doesnt Work
- HQ Videos stutter a bit
- Some apps that require root access,refuse to function
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC Explorer to connect it with the computer. Download HTC Explorer USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
UPDATE: A custom ROM with Android 4.0.4 ICS AOKP and Xperia theme is now available for the HTC Explorer. Read here for the tutorial.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your HTC Explorer to ICS Android 4.0.4 CyanogenMod 9 custom ROM.