Samsung Galaxy Y S5360 is low-end Android phone by Samsung which was last updated to Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread. The developers community doesn’t seem to give up hopes on this Android phone this soon. CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS is in works for the Galaxy Y S5360 as we reported earlier. Guess what, the very initial ICS build is now out for download and install on Galaxy Y.
As you continue reading, we will guide you through the entire process of how to install ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9 custom firmware on Galaxy Y S5360 with all the steps required to do so. Please make sure you backup your data as it will be all wiped clean. This firmware is in very early stages and is only okay to install if you want to try out ICS on Galaxy Y. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Y to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Y USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and install ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9 on Galaxy Y S5360.