HOW TO: Install CyanogenMod 9 on Sprint Epic 4G SPH-D700
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Epic 4G SPH-D700. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Epic 4G SPH-D700, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Sprint Epic 4G and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure and read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it.
- This tutorial is only for installing CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Sprint Epic 4G SPH-D700. Please do not try on any other Epic 4G variants.
- Your phone SHOULD be rooted.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Proceed at your own risk.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will NOT detect your phone after installing CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS because it is a custom ROM.
- ClockworkMod recovery should be installed from before.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Epic 4G USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the downloaded CM9 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the files are in the SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 – Then turn off your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 – Now to get in the recovery mode. Switch on the phone while pressing and holding Volume Down, Camera & the Power buttons. You will be booted into Recovery mode.
Step 6 – In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 7 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 8 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to the CM9 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this same step for the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 9 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Sprint Epic 4G should now have CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS installed on your phone! Go to Settings > About phone to verify.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.