Nexus S can now be updated to the latest MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 custom firmware. Jelly Bean OTA update is already available for the Nexus S but many users like to have MIUI on their device. MIUI v4 (by MIUI.us 2.8.3) can be installed on Nexus S using the tutorial given below with CWM.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the process of how to install MIUI v4 (2.8.3) Android 4.0 ICS on Nexus S. Please make sure to backup all your data as this tutorial will wipe your internal storage. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Nexus S to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Nexus S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Nexus S GT-I9020 to MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 ROM.
HOW TO: Install MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 on Nexus S I9020
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Nexus S. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Nexus S, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Nexus S and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure. Please read the complete tutorial before actually performing it.
Just To Remember:
- This MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 is only for Nexus S (I9020, crespo) and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Nexus S on other carriers.
- My phone had ClockworkMod (CyanogenMod) recovery installed. Please make sure you have this recovery!
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 ICS for Nexus S on your PC, if you haven’t already.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Nexus S USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the MIUI ROM zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 – Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up and Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 – In ClockworkMod recovery, scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to MIUI ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Nexus S should have MIUI v4 Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!