Motorola Photon 4G can now be updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, based on CyanogenMod 10 custom firmware – all thanks to the developers community. Almost everything works great on this ROM and you can update to it like any other custom ROM on your phone.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware on Photon 4G with complete steps. Backup all your data as this tutorial will wipe your personal settings and apps. Let’s proceed with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Motorola Milestone to connect it with the computer.Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your Photon 4G to CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1.
How to Install CM10 Jelly Bean Android 4.1 on Motorola Photon 4G
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CM10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Photon 4G. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This tutorial is only for Photon 4G. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed and your Photon 4G is ROOTED.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Photon 4G USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the CM10 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the files are in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Download ROM Manager app from Google Play Store.
Step 5 – Open ROM Manager app, and tap “Reboot into Recovery” to boot into Recovery Mode.
Step 6 – In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 7 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to CM10 ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step for the Google Apps file as well.
Step 8 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Photon 4G should now have CM10 Jelly Bean 4.1 installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!