Acer Iconia 500 received the official Android 4.0 ICS software update, but what if you get to have the same stock Android experience on your tablet with lots of custom mods and tweaks that are otherwise not included in the official updates? Android 4.0.4 AOKP is the custom firmware you need.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you in this tutorial through the process of how to update Acer Iconia 500 to Android 4.0.4 AOKP ICS with complete steps. Make sure you backup all your data as given below because flashing this custom firmware will delete all your apps and personal settings.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.0.4 ICS Changes Since Milestone 5:
- Removed FB sync
- Added ability to hide sender and/or message body in notifications (Mms)
- Added CM9 T-Mobile theme manager
- Added Sense 4 style Task switcher (you have the option of choosing from stock/web os/sense 4 now)
- Added ability to play boot sound (disabled by default) — read instructions in ROM Control > General > Boot sound
- added delayed ring feature to Phone
- added Emoji to Mms (enable in Mms settings)
- added AOKP wallpapers app
- added USB tether toggle,
- added AOKP clock widgets
- added notification counters
- new boot animation
- added nav bar widgets (must add nav bar widgets button/long press button in nav bar settings and add some widgets to play with!)
- added AOKP stats (www.stats.aokp.co) — you can opt out
- added bluewall firewall – RC > General UI > Less Notification Sounds — limits the number of notification sounds an app can play per X seconds, so like 1 GTalk ping/30s, but notifications will still be coming in
- improved weather code
- added “copy to clipboard” option in “Share” dialogs throughout Android
- added hardware info in about screen
- added new music layout to lockscreen (you can choose between old and new)
- added nfc toggle
- added nfc polling settings (Settings > More > NFC polling mode)
- made lockscreen weather prettier
- fixed DRM issues
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Acer Iconia Tab 500 to connect it with the computer. Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android tablet with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your tablet battery should be 80-85% charged. If your tablet goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your tablet might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Acer Iconia 500 to Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM.