Sony Xperia Play was the first phone to sport the PlayStation Suite and allowed you to play PlayStation certified games on your Android phone. Now you can enjoy Android 4.0.3 ICS on XPERIA Play with the help of XDark custom ROM. Remember, this is not an official firmware by Sony, but just a custom ICS ROM for XPERIA Play users.
In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of installing Android 4.0.3 ICS custom ROM on Sony Xperia Play with complete steps and tips. Let’s get on with the tutorial now below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
XDark Android 4.0.3 ICS Features:
- AROMA INSTALLER!
- WORKING WIFI!
- FULL TOUCHPAD SUPPORT!
- -based off stock Sony ICS/GB launcher
- xLOUD included
- MIUI music player
- new Sony wigets and live wallpapers
- Fully rooted
- removed bloat ware
- Screen Snapshot (hold power + Vol down)
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Sony Xperia Play to connect it with the computer. Download Sony Xperia Play USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
NOTE: Sony PC Suite will not work with your phone after installing this custom firmware, as this is not an official software update from Sony. Please do not backup your data using the PC Suite as you will not be able to restore it back later on a custom firmware. Use the above mentioned apps and tools.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your Sony Xperia Play to Android 4.0.3 ICS XDark custom firmware.