Google, during I/O 2018 keynote today, announced Android P Beta for smartphones. You can download the latest Android P Beta for your device with the guide ahead. This time around, rather than sticking with only Pixel devices, Google is officially monitoring Beta builds for devices from partner manufacturers. All of these devices fall under the Android One program. We have the complete list of all compatible devices right ahead alongside the official signup pages for each to get yourself enrolled and running Android P.
A name change occurs annually for Android and each annual upgrade brings substantial amount of changes. Android P Beta will give you an initial look at whats about to come this year. As with Beta builds, there might be some bugs or hiccups. Nonetheless, it is improved over the last developer preview.
Android P Beta – New Features:
Here are few of the highlight changes that are being introduced with the roll-out of Android P.
Display Cutout Support
- Android P offers support for the latest edge-to-edge screens with display cutout for camera and speaker. The new DisplayCutout class lets you find out the location and shape of the non-functional areas where content shouldn’t be displayed. To determine the existence and placement of these cutout areas, use the getDisplayCutout() method.
Android P will be providing an enhanced messaging experience.
- Starting in Android 7.0 (API level 24), you can add an action to reply to messages or enter other text directly from a notification. Android P enhances this feature with the following enhancements:
- Support for images: Android P now displays images in Messaging Notifications on phones. You can use setData() on the message to display an image.
- Simplified support for conversation participants: The new Notification.Person class is used to identify people involved in a conversation, including their avatars and URIs. Many other APIs, such as addMessage(), now leverage the Person class instead of a CharSequence.
- Save replies as drafts: Your app can retrieve the EXTRA_REMOTE_INPUT_DRAFT sent by the system when a user inadvertently closes a messaging notification. You can use this extra to pre-populate text fields in the app so users can finish their reply.
- Identify if a conversation is a group conversation: You can use setGroupConversation() to purposefully identify a conversation as a group or non-group conversation.
- Set the semantic action for an intent: The setSemanticAction() method allows you to give semantic meaning to an action, such as mark as read, delete, reply, and so on.
- SmartReply: Android P supports the same suggested replies available in your messaging app. Use RemoteInput.setChoices() to provide an array of standard responses to the user.
HDR VP9 Video, HEIF image compression, and Media APIs
- Android P adds built-in support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) VP9 Profile 2, so you can now deliver HDR-enabled movies to your users from YouTube, Play Movies, and other sources on HDR-capable devices.
Neural Networks API 1.1
- The Neural Networks API was introduced in Android 8.1 (API level 27)to accelerate on-device machine learning on Android. Android P expands and improving the API, adding support for nine new ops — Pad, BatchToSpaceND, SpaceToBatchND, Transpose, Strided Slice, Mean, Div, Sub, and Squeeze.
- Android P introduces a number of new security features, including a unified fingerprint authentication dialog and high-assurance user confirmation of sensitive transactions. For more details, see the Security Updates page.
Google summarizes the new Android P release with the following statement:
Android P introduces great new features and capabilities for users and developers. This document highlights what’s new for developers.
Android P Beta Compatible Devices:
Here is the list of devices that are recieving Android P Beta outside of Pixel lineup.
- Essential Phone
- Nokia 7 Plus
- Oppo R15 Pro
- Sony Xperia XZ2
- Vivo X21UD
- Vivo X21
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Download Android P Beta:
For each device, there is an enrollment webpage through which you need to enroll your device to be eligible to receive Android P Beta. View each web page through the direct links ahead
Nokia 7 Plus
Oppo R15 Pro
Sony Xperia XZ2
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Do let us know about your experience of Android P? Do you like the new UI changes? Reach us through the comments!