With the tutorial ahead, download and install latest TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery on Xiaomi Redmi 5A. TeamWin just recently extended TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery support to the newest Redmi 5A smartphone and you can install it now with the guide ahead. Xiaomi has been providing some quality hardware in the budget market and the Redmi 5A is no different. With TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery installed, you would have access to mods, utilities and best of all, root. Also, you would have access to loads of custom ROMs for your Redmi 5A. The guide ahead will show you how to install TWRP 3.2.1 custom recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi 5A.
A custom recovery also helps you to install custom ROMs, and make full backups of your phone that you can easily restore later, when needed. Before you get on to install TWRP 3.1.0 on the Xiaomi Redmi 5A, please make sure you backup your phone. Data wipe is not needed in this tutorial, but you never knew if anything would go wrong.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
There are some other interesting posts on Team Android, We think you might like the following posts:
- Unlock Bootloader: How to Unlock Bootloader On Xiaomi Redmi 5A.
- Install Android Oreo: How to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Computer.
- Custom ROMs: For a complete collection of custom ROMs on Team Android, visit our Custom ROM section!
- Benefits of Rooting your phone: If you are planning to root your phone in the future, you might be interested in reading the benefits of rooting your phone.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for properly. If not, you can download the latest Huawei official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps.
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. Read: How to Backup Android Apps, Text Messages, WhatsApp, Call History.
Xiaomi users can also back up data using Xiaomi Mi PC Suite to your computer. Mi PC Suite helps you to move data across different Android devices i.e moving Xiaomi Mi 5 backup data to Samsung Galaxy S8.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up. [Tutorial: How to Backup Android Phone using TWRP]
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
3. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
HOW TO: Install TWRP Recovery 3.2.1 on Xiaomi Redmi 5A
Here is the complete and easy guide to install TWRP custom recovery on your Redmi 5A.
- Make sure the bootloader of your phone is unlocked, if it isn’t you can unlock the bootloader easily by following this guide.
- Enable Developer Options by going to Settings>About Phone and tapping on build number multiple times.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings>Developer Options. Make sure that the USB Debugging is checked.
- Backup all the data as installing a custom recovery might delete all of your data.
- Charge your phone up to 50% first and make sure your phone does not shut down during the procedure or it might damage your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install. Also set it up with downloading platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Tutorial given here: How to Set up ADB and Fastboot on Windows.
Step 1 – Download ADB / Fastboot – Android SDK Platform Tools separate package and install on your computer. Download from the following links depending on your OS and extract it anywhere in your computer.
- Windows: Download platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- MacOS: Download platform-tools-latest-darwin.zip
- Linux: Download platform-tools-latest-linux.zip
Step 2 – Connect your Redmi 5A to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3 – Download TWRP (twrp-3.2.1-0-riva.img) and save it into the same directory as the extracted Fastboot/ADB package files.
Step 4 – Navigate to the same directory now as where you have Fastboot (i.e. Step 1) and on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt). For Mac OS X and Linux, use Terminal to navigate to this directory.