Update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM Custom ROM
Galaxy S4 I9500 can now be updated to to latest Android 4.4 KitKat, thanks to OmniROM custom firmware. This ROM provides you all the Android’s 4.4 goodies and a couple more. Multi-Window feature is there so you can do multiple tasks on your Phablet. Like all other OmniROM this one also feature 3D Depth feature. You can set the 3D Depth as per your wish. This new ROM is still in beta stages so bugs will most likely show uo but they’ll be removed in the future complete releases. If interested in Android 4.4 for other phones, check out our new Custom ROMs section. You can update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM custom firmware using the tutorial below. This is not an official release by Samsung, but just a custom ROM which would require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod in order to flash the ROM zip and Google Apps zip files on your phone. Your Galaxy S4 I9500 should be rooted and have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod recovery / TWRP recovery) installed.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to install Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM on Galaxy S4 I9500 with complete steps. Don’t forget to read all the tips below that you have to keep in mind before proceeding. Please make sure you backup all your data as given below because this tutorial will wipe your data. The following tips are important as they will help the installation procedure to go smooth without any issues. Let’s get to the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM ROM Details:
This amazing OmniROM custom ROM comes with tons of new features and is based on Android 4.4 KitKat. A quick list of the main features in OmniROM is given below and we are sure you’d love to use this on your Galaxy S4 I9500:
- Flippable Quick Settings
- Roadrunner mode
- Daydream enhancements
- Integrated Performance Control
- Color-changeable, 3D depth Phase Beam
There are tons of useful articles and how-to guides on Team Android for the Samsung Galaxy S4, but we think you might be interested in the following posts:
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery: How to Install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 6 on Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Install TWRP Recovery: How to Install TWRP Recovery on Galaxy S4 I9500.
- Root Galaxy S4: How to Root Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500 on Official Android Firmware.
Like this OmniROM ROM based on the latest Android 4.4? We love it too and we know you are looking forward to install it on your phone now. Now please read below for important tips on how to make sure your installation goes smooth and you do not end up with any problems.
Samsung Galaxy S4 USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Galaxy S4 I9500 to Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM custom firmware.