How to Install ClockworkMod Custom Recovery on HTC One
ClockworkMod Recovery is now available for the HTC One that you can flash and enjoy extra advanced options on your phone. A custom recovery gives you an extra set of features and options, several of them are advanced, but could come in handy anytime. Our favourite includes the Nandroid backup/restore and installing custom ROMs and other system tweaks. You can now easily install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on HTC One using our tutorial. Please note, you should unlock HTC One bootloader first before proceeding.
As you continue reading, we will guide you through the process of how to update HTC One with ClockworkMod Custom Recovery. Please note, by doing so, you are voiding the warranty of your HTC One. Make sure you go through all the tips given below and keep them in mind before performing the tutorial. Also make a backup of your data. Let’s continue with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
HTC One ClockworkMod Recovery Details:
ClockworkMod Recovery is finally available for the HTC One which allows you to install custom ROMs, advanced options like formatting the system partition, making backups etc. The entire tutorial has been given on the next page for those who want to install this CWM Recovery on their phones. HTC One already has lots of custom ROMs available, so it is good to actually have a custom ROM on the phone.
UNLOCK BOOTLOADER: How to Unlock HTC One Bootloader.
If you plan on rooting this phone or are still confused for why to root HTC One, read: Benefits of Rooting Your Android Device.
HTC One USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for HTC One properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
5. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. You can now read below and install ClockworkMod Recovery on the HTC One.
How to Update HTC One with Clockwork Recovery
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install ClockworkMod recovery on HTC One. This is a very simple tutorial and if you have been updating or installing new custom recoveries on HTC phones, then this one should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully below. We suggest that you should read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This ClockworkMod Recovery tutorial is only for HTC One. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This will void your warranty.
- HTC Sync should be installed with full working ADB/Fastboot before performing the tutorial.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Make sure ADB and Fastboot is configured on your PC. How? See here: How to Set Up ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK. This is important!
Step 2 - Connect HTC One to your PC with a USB cable and install ADB drivers.
Step 3 - Download ClockworkMod (CWM_Touch_Recovery_184.108.40.206_M7.img) [Mirror] and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
Step 4 - Go to Fastboot/Bootloader mode now. How? Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 5 - Type in the following command and press Enter.
adb reboot bootloader
Step 6 - HTC One will switch OFF and then boot into the Fastboot Mode. Once the drivers are installed, proceed below.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can also enter Fastboot Mode by switching OFF your phone first. Then turn it ON by holding Volume Down + Power buttons together.
Step 7 - Then type the following command and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery CWM_Touch_Recovery_220.127.116.11_M7.img
Step 8 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode. Navigate up and down using the volume keys.
Step 9 - If you see Clockwork Touch Recovery, then everything so far has been successfully performed and custom recovery is installed.
Step 10 - Since everything is going on well, you can go back to your normal phone by rebooting HTC One. Select “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now.
That’s it. Your HTC One has now been updated with a custom recovery like ClockworkMod Recovery and is fully working on your phone.
How to access Recovery Mode? Turn OFF your phone. Switch ON your phone again by holding Volume Up + Power buttons together and you will be taken directly to the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery menu.
NEXT: You can now also root HTC One. How? Read here: How to Root HTC One with SuperSU.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!