Sony Ericsson has not announced if they plan to release Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean for the Xperia Arc LT15i / LT15a or not, but the developers have managed to get the latest Android version on this phone. Using CyanogenMod 10.1 sources and the code from FreeXperia Project, a developer has developed Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 Jelly Bean for the Xperia Arc. You can easily install Android 4.2.1 CM10.1.1 Jelly Bean on Xperia Arc LT15i / LT15a with the easy tutorial given below. You need to have ClockworkMod recovery or any other custom recovery installed.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to update Xperia Arc LT15i / LT15a to CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 CM10.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware with complete steps and instructions. We also have a few more tips given below that you have to keep in mind before proceeding to the next page. Make sure you backup all your data as given in the tips below, because you never know when something might go wrong. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the custom ROMs and firmwares, official software updates, tools, mods or anything mentioned in the tutorial belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 Jelly Bean Details:
Many features might not work in this Android 4.2.1 ROM as it is a work-in-progress custom firmware. However, you can always point out the bugs for the developer to fix them.
Sony Xperia Arc USB Drivers
You will need to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, please make sure you have installed the USB drivers for Sony Xperia Arc properly. If not, you can download the latest official drivers from our Android USB Drivers section here:
Backup and Other Important Tips
Done with the USB drivers? Perfect. The tutorial is on the next page, but first, please take a look at the following tips and important points you need to take care of. These are important, as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps:
Always backup your important data that you might need after you install a new custom ROM, an official software update or anything else. Make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below for some tips on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings. How? Note down everything from: Settings > Wireless & Networks (More…) > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
Samsung users can also back up data using Samsung KIES. If you backup data manually, you get more options what to choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
If you already have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP etc.) installed on your phone, we strongly recommend a backup using that as it creates a complete image of your existing phone set up.
A few more optional tips that you should remember:
1. Having problems connecting your Android phone to the computer? You need to enable USB debugging mode. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging — for Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.
2. Make sure your Android device is charged up to 80-85% battery level. This might help you: How to Check Battery Percentage. Why? Because, if your phone goes off suddenly while installing a custom ROM, flashing an official firmware update or installing mods etc. — your phone might get bricked or go dead permanently. No one wants that, right?
4. Most of the tutorials and how-to guides on Team Android are for factory unlocked Android phones and tablets. We recommend NOT to try our guides if your phone is locked to a carrier, unless we have specified the carrier name or device model.
If you find the above tips useful and they were helpful to you, please consider giving us a +1 or LIKE to thank us!
All set and ready? Good. Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Xperia Arc LT15i / LT15a to Android 4.2.1 CM10.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware.