Google has just rolled out the official Android 4.2 JOP40C software update for Galaxy Nexus I9250 — just when the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 have went online for purchase at the Google Play Store. Android 4.2 Jelly Bean brings a number of amazing new features, which we have already written about before. This latest OTA software update started rolling out to Galaxy Nexus users earlier today. The exact Android 4.2 build is JOP40C for Galaxy Nexus. You can manually update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.2 JOP40C OTA software update from the tutorial below. Your Galaxy Nexus should already be on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K firmware in order to install this OTA.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean software update on Galaxy Nexus I9250 with complete steps and instructions. We have also mentioned various tips on how to backup your data before updating your device. Remember, this is an official OTA software update, not a custom ROM. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
UPDATE: Android 4.2.1 OTA update is now available for Galaxy Nexus. Read here for the tutorial!
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.2 software update. If you have a rooted Galaxy Nexus, head over to the next page directly for the complete tutorial.
Install Android 4.2 JOP40C OTA Official Update on Galaxy Nexus I9250 [For Non-ROOTED]
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install the official Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OTA software update (JOP40C) on Galaxy Nexus. This tutorial is for beginners who are not used to install software updates manually.
Please make sure your phone fulfills all the requirements and you read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
Disclaimer: Try this on your own risk. I’m not responsible if you mess up with your Galaxy Nexus.
Just To Remember:
- This tutorial is only for Galaxy Nexus I9250 and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Galaxy Nexus on other carriers.
- Your phone needs to be on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K (previous official update) which is NOT rooted and has stock recovery.
- Do not proceed if you don’t have Android 4.1.2 JZO54K installed.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download Android 4.2 (e587de13bf8a.signed-takju-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.e587de13.zip) for Galaxy Nexus on your PC, if you haven’t already. Rename it to update.zip.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Galaxy Nexus USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the update.zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the root (not in any folders).
Step 4 – Then turn OFF your phone.
Step 5 – Now to get in the Bootloader Mode. Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons till you see the Fastboot menu and START on top.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button several times till you see RECOVERY and press Power button to select it.
Step 7 – You will get an exclamation mark now. Again hold your Volume Up + Power buttons. You should now see the Recovery Mode menu.
Step 8 – Select update from SD card. Now select update.zip file and select it with the Power button. Installation should start now.
Step 9 – After the installation completes, the phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Galaxy Nexus should have the official Android 4.2 JOP40C Jelly Bean software update installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
UPDATE: You can now also root Galaxy Nexus I9250 on Android 4.2 JOP40C Firmware. Read the complete tutorial here!
You Galaxy Nexus is rooted? Then go to the next page for the complete tutorial on how to install this Android 4.2 JOP40C OTA update on an already rooted Galaxy Nexus.