How to Update Nexus 7 to Android 4.1.2 JZO54K Official OTA Software Update
Android 4.1.2 (JZO54K) is now available for the Nexus 7. It brings a number of enhancements, bug fixes and improvements to the tablet. This software update has just started rolling out to Nexus 7, but for those who have not yet received this update can install Android 4.1.2 OTA from the tutorial below.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.1.2 JZO54K on Nexus 7 which are rooted and for non-rooted stock Nexus 7 devices as well. Make sure you read all the step-by-step instructions carefully before performing it.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
- HOW TO: Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.1.2 JZO54K Official OTA Software Update.
- HOW TO: Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OTA Software Update.
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the ASUS Nexus 7 to connect it with the computer. Download ASUS Nexus 7 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android tablet with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your tablet battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your tablet might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your tablet should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
5. Your Nexus 7 should be on Android 4.1.1 (build JRO03D) software version. If not, then do not proceed below. Go to Settings > About tablet to check.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your Nexus 7 to Android 4.1.2 software update. If you have a rooted Nexus 7, head over to the next page directly for the complete tutorial.
Install Android 4.1.2 JZO54K OTA Official Update on Nexus 7 [For Non-ROOTED]
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA software update (JZO54K) on Nexus 7. This tutorial is for beginners who are not used to install software updates manually.
Disclaimer: Try this on your own risk. I’m not responsible if you mess up with your Nexus 7.
Just To Remember:
- This tutorial is only for Nexus 7 and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Nexus 7 on other carriers.
- Your tablet needs to be on Android 4.1.1 JRO03D (previous official update) which is NOT rooted and has stock recovery.
- Do not proceed if you don’t have Android 4.1.1 JRO03D installed.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 (03a4eaf95f73.signed-nakasi-JZO54K-from-JRO03D.03a4eaf9.zip) for Nexus 7 on your PC, if you haven’t already. Rename it to update.zip.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Nexus 7 USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the update.zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the root (not in any folders).
Step 4 - Then turn OFF your tablet.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn ON the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power buttons till you see the fastboot menu and START on top.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Press Volume Up button several times till you see RECOVERY and press Power button to select it.
Step 7 - You will get an exclamation mark now. Again hold your Volume Up + Power buttons. You should now see the Recovery Mode menu.
Step 8 - Select update from SD card. Now select update.zip file and select it with the Power button. Installation should start now.
Step 9 - After the installation completes, the tablet will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Nexus 7 should have the official Android 4.1.2 JZO54K Jelly Bean software update installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
You Nexus 7 is rooted? Then go to the next page for the complete tutorial on how to install this Android 4.1.2 JZO54K OTA update on an already rooted Nexus 7.