Install Nexus S I9020 Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 Custom Firmware
Apart from the Galaxy Nexus, AOKP’s latest custom ROM release (Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4) is now available for the Nexus S I9020 as well. nexus S is one tough device that has been around since the good old Gingerbread days and is still running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean smoothly. You can now install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 on Nexus S I9020. Remember, this is a custom firmware with additional features on top of stock AOSP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. This is not an official firmware.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 custom ROM on Nexus S I9020 with complete steps and instructions on how to backup your phone. Your Nexus S should be rooted and ClockworkMod recovery should be installed. Let’s get on with the tutorial now and flash a new custom ROM on the phone.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
UPDATE: AOKP Build 5 based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is now available. Read the tutorial here!
Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 Features:
- Custom NavBar Ring on tablets
- Force dual panel view on any device
- Flip or shake your device to snooze/dismiss the alarm (check alarm settings)
- Take screenshot from NavBar
- Enabled USB mass storage emulation for certain devices (i9*)
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Nexus S to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Nexus S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
5. Remember, this is not an official firmware update. This is a custom ROM, based on AOSP release of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Nexus S I9020 to Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 4 custom ROM.