Update Nexus S I9020 to Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean Custom Firmware
We just wrote tutorials on how to install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 2 on Galaxy Nexus and Verizon Galaxy Nexus. Now, it’s turn for the older Nexus device. You can now install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean on Nexus S I9020.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean custom ROM on Nexus S I9020 with complete steps and instructions on how to backup your phone. Your Nexus S should be rooted and ClockworkMod recovery should be installed. Let’s get on with the tutorial now and flash a new custom ROM on the phone.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean Features:
- Kill all button in Recents panel
- Backlight settings
- Tablet UI on any device
- DPI switcher
- Custom Vibrations for Phone Calls
- ADB over network
- National Data Roaming option
- Volume music controls
- LED Brightness control
- Charging LED
- Boot animation preview
- Allow full theming of Contacts & Mms
- Allow to set color of Digital Clock Widget
- Power menu options (airplane, screenshot, navbar toggle)
- Ability to answer calls with hardware Home button (Winter is coming!)
- Custom Ring targets
- Allow up to 7 Nav buttons on some devices
- IME Toggler
- Hide ADB icon
- Allow disabling of volume adjust sound
- Hide signal bars
- WiFi & Cell signal text
- Allow rotation on any device
- Added back Info-Lines (Weather, Calendar)
- Menu unlock
- Alternative music layout
- Timer snapshot
- Volume zoom
- 720p recording support for grouper (front)
- Display full date & time
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Nexus S to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Nexus S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
5. Remember, this is not an official firmware update. This is a custom ROM, based on AOSP release of the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Nexus S I9020 to Android 4.1.1 AOKP Build 2 Jelly Bean custom ROM.