Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) recently released the very first build of their Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom firmware. Nexus 7 is luckily one of their initial devices for which this custom ROM is available. You can easily install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 on Nexus 7.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 custom ROM on Nexus 7 with complete steps and how to backup your tablet. Your tablet should be rooted and ClockworkMod recovery should be installed. Let’s get on with the tutorial now and make sure you backup your tablet as given below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
UPDATE: Build 2 of AOKP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is now available. Read the tutorial here!
AOKP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Build 1 Features:
- Notification Toggles
- Lockscreen tweaks (no custom targets yet)
- Navigation bar modifications
- Custom kernel performance options
- LED colors
- Notification wallpapers
- Phone ringer modifications (Flip call to silent, silent/vibrate when headphones are in)
- Plus more!
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Nexus 7 tablet to connect it with the computer. Download ASUS Nexus 7 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone/tablet with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your tablet battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your tablet should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Nexus 7 tablet to Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 custom ROM.