Install ClockworkMod Recovery on AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with ODIN
The latest ClockworkMod recovery can be easily installed on AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747. We have written a complete guide on how to install CWM. ClockworkMod recovery can be installed on Galaxy S3 I747, all thanks to TeamEpic’s efforts. You will need to have ODIN on your computer (download links given below).
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to install ClockworkMod custom recovery on AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 using ODIN flashing tool. Let’s continue with the tutorial below and don’t forget to backup all your data as given below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S III to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung AT&T Galaxy S3 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with CWM custom recovery.
How to Install ClockworkMod Recovery on AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S III to CWM custom recovery. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you. Please read every line carefully.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download CWM Custom Recovery for AT&T Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 3 - Switch OFF your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Make sure you have your AT&T Galaxy S3 USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 - Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 - Now select the files that you have to flash/install on your phone. This file is the one you downloaded in Step 1.
- Click on ‘PDA’ and select CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-v5.tar.md5 file.
Step 8 - In ODIN, uncheck the Auto Reboot option.
Step 9 - Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - After the installation is completed, you will see PASS on your screen in the green box.
Step 11 - Unplug your phone from the computer and turn it OFF by pulling out the battery.
Step 12 - Now turn ON the phone to get into CWM recovery mode by pressing Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together for around 10 seconds.
That’s it. Your AT&T Galaxy S3 has now been updated to CWM custom recovery.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.