Update Xperia S to CM9 Android 4.0.4 Final ICS Firmware
We have never covered much Sony phones till now, but now we will. Sony Xperia S is the current flagship device from Sony and guess what, it is also one of the first Android phones to get the latest CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS. Xperia S can now be updated to CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS custom firmware which is now available for download.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM on Sony Xperia S with complete steps and instructions on how to backup your phone. Your Xperia S should be already rooted and ClockworkMod recovery should be installed. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Xperia S to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Xperia S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Xperia S to CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS custom ROM.