Samsung Galaxy R I9103 can be easily updated to a custom recovery (ClockworkMod) and then rooted for full system access so that you are able to install root apps and flash custom ROMs. We have a very easy tutorial on how to root Galaxy R I9103.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to root Galaxy R I9103 and also how to install ClockworkMod recovery using ODIN. This tutorial will not wipe your data, but it is always good to backup your data. Let’s continue with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy R to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy R USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below on how to install ClockworkMod custom recovery and root Galaxy R I9103 and any official stock firmware.
How to Install CWM Recovery on Galaxy R I9103
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install ClockworkMod recovery on Galaxy R. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the entire tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy R I9103. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Root tutorial is on the next page.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download CWM Recovery (cwm_18.104.22.168_for_i9103.rar) for Galaxy R to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 – Download ODIN v1.85 which will help you to install Android 4.0.4 on Samsung Galaxy R I9103.
Step 3 – Switch off your phone. Now go to Download Mode. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy R USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 – If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 – Now select the file that you have to flash/install on your phone. This file is the one you just downloaded in Step 1.
- Click on ‘PDA’ and select the .tar file.
Step 8 – In ODIN, check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
Step 9 – Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 – After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy R now has ClockworkMod recovery installed as the custom recovery.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.
Now, if you want to root Galaxy R I9103, head over to the next page for the full tutorial with step-by-step instructions.