Update Sprint Epic 4G D700 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOSP Custom Firmware
Sprint Epic 4G SPH-D700 can now be updated with Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOSP custom firmware. Sprint has not announced any official dates of releasing the Jelly Bean for Epic 4G Touch, but looks like now you can install with the help of this custom firmware – Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOSP on Sprint Epic 4G SPH-D700.
In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOSP on Sprint Epic 4G SPH-D700 with complete steps using ClockworkMod recovery. Make sure you backup all the data as we will have to wipe your previous personal data and apps. Follow the instructions below carefully and everything will go on smooth. Let’s begin with the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
- Camcorder effects cause FC
- 4g goes to “unknown” when first initialized. Turn on again it will work
- Sprint PRL/Update menu might not work (In About Settings)
- SU/Superuser are kinda wonky
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Sprint Epic 4G to connect it with the computer. Download Sprint Epic 4G USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Sprint Epic 4G SPH-D700 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean AOSP custom firmware.