Update XPERIA Play R800i to CM9 Final Android 4.0.4 ICS Custom Firmware
Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play R800i has already been updated to the official Android 4.0 ICS software update, but if you want to enhance it with more features and tweaks, we recommend installing the just released final version of CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS. It is based on AOSP adn will give you the pure Android experience on your XPERIA Play R800i.
In this tutorial, we will explain and guide you through the process of how to install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Sony Xperia Play R800i with complete steps and precautionary steps that you should take while installing custom ROMs. Remember, this is not an official update but a custom ROM. Let’s go to the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Sony Xperia Play to connect it with the computer. Download Sony Xperia Play USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your Sony Xperia Play to CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS custom firmware.