Root XXALF5 Android 4.0.4 ICS Firmware on Galaxy S3 I9300 with CF-Root
Samsung rolled out a new official firmware a few days ago, Android 4.0.4 build XXALF5. We have already posted how to install I9300XXALF5 Android 4.0.4 and now we’ll tell you how to root the firmware with CF-Root package using ODIN. This tutorial is only for rooting the official software update released over Samsung KIES or flashed with ODIN.
Rooting your Android 4.0.4 will allow you to install root apps that require full system access and will also allow you to install a custom recovery i.e ClockworkMod and other tweaks. As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to root the official software update Android 4.0.4 XXALF5 on Galaxy S3 I9300. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S III to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and root Galaxy S3 I9300 on XXALF5 Android 4.0.4 firmware.
How to Root Android 4.0.4 XXALF5 on Galaxy S3 I9300
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S III to Android 4.0.4 XXALF5. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and read the entire tutorial first before actually performing it on your Galaxy S3 I9300.
- This root method tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as a precaution. No data will be lost though.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip for Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 – Download ODIN v1.85 (if needed) which will help you to install Android 4.0.4 on Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step 3 – Switch off your phone. Now go to Download Mode on your phone. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 – Make sure you have your Galaxy S3 USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 – Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 – If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 – Now select the root package file that you have to flash/install on your phone. These files are to be found from the extracted file in Step 1.
- Click on ‘PDA’ and select the file CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.tar.
Step 8 – In ODIN, check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. Do NOT touch any other options.
Step 9 – Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 – After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy S III has now been rooted on Android 4.0.4 build XXALF5 software update. Check for the Superuser app in your apps list to verify.
To make sure you have correctly installed the above root method and it’s working, verify with Root Checker as given in the link.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.