Update HTC Wildfire S to Wildchild Custom ROM
HTC Wildfire S got a couple of Android 4.0 ICS custom firmware, and as well as Android 4.1 (CM10) Jelly Bean custom ROM as well, but for those who want to keep themselves on Android 2.23.6 with a stable and optimized ROM, then continue reading below.
In this post, we will guide you through the process of installing Wildchild Custom ROM on your HTC Wildfire S with complete steps and backup procedure because this tutorial will wipe all your personal data from the phone. Let’s get one with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
UPDATE: Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean is now available for the HTC Wildfire S. Read the tutorial here!
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC Wildfire S to connect it with the computer. Download HTC Wildfire S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your Apps. How? –> How to Backup Android Apps.
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your HTC Wildfire S to Wildchild Custom ROM.
How to Install Wildchild Custom ROM on HTC Wildfire S
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Wildchild Custom ROM on HTC Wildfire S. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This tutorial is only for HTC Wildfire S (Marvel). Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed and your Wildfire S is ROOTED.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Wildchild Custom ROM for HTC Wildfire S to your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your HTC Wildfire S USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the ROM zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - Assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC Wildfire S should now have Wildchild Custom ROM installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!