Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 has finally got the Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom firmware which brings a whole new level of awesome goodness wit hit. We will take a look at the features in a bit. Official Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update is still nowhere to be found, but we have AOKP Android 4.1.1 for the time with great features.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the process of how to install AOKP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 I9300. Please make sure to backup all your data as this tutorial will wipe your internal storage. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.1.1 AOKP Features:
- Unsecure boot.img (stock AOSP kernel)
- Super user & Busy box preinstalled
- 180 Degree rotation
- Built in performance/init.d configuration (Thanks Kejar & company)
- CM Launcher/ Power Menu
- CM Brightness slider
- Custom color for anything in RC
- Clock Color/Location: Right, Center, Disable
- Battery Icon/ Color Picker: Circle Mod, Bar, Text Only, Icon Only, Icon+Text or None
- Battery Bar in Status Bar or Nav Bar, Bar Thickness, Charging animation
- Nav Bar Transparency
- Nav Bar Button Reorder: Back-Home-Search-Menu
- Nav Bar Color Picker
- Nav Bar Button Glow Duration: Off, Fast, Slow
- Nav Bar: Long press to Search button
- Nav Bar Hide on Lock screen
- Toggles in Pull Down Menu: Auto rotate, Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi, Airplane mode, Vibrate, Silent, Sync, Data, 4G, Tethering, Torch, Brightness
- LCD Density (Careful with this)
- Menu Button location: Right, Left, both, Remove
- Menu Button Visability: Always show, Always show Invisible Icons
- Lock screen Style: Quad, Octo, Stock
- Lock screen SMS customizable shortcut
- Lock screen Horizontal Option
- Performance Menu: (Use With Caution) Max/ Min CPU, Scaling Governor
- Unlock Screen with Legacy Menu Icon
- Volume Key to Wake Screen
- Volume Key to Skip Tracks
- Long-press back button to kill process
- Disable CRT off animation
- LED pulse settings (time on/off)
- ICS ringtones/notification sounds
- Customize carrier text to whatever.
- Power Menu options: Boot to recovery/ Boot loader, Reboot, Screenshot
- Facebook contact sync integration (must wipe to get this)
- Disable Boot animation
- Keyboard: Volume keys act as a cursor while typing — disable in keyboard options
- Long press home for recent apps (thanks brucekey)
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S III to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Galaxy S3 I9300 to AOKP Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean custom firmware.