How to Update Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 with Android 4.1.1 AOSP Jelly Bean
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 can now be updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean AOSP custom ROM developed MapleSyrup on XDA-Developers. Front-facing cmaera does not work, but most of the other features work perfectly fine and you can see Jelly Bean working on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 Android tablet.
Android 4.1 is not yet officially announced for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, but we are expecting Samsung to announce soon about the release dates. As you continue reading below, we will guide you though the entire process of installing Android 4.1 Jelly Bean AOSP on Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Features not working:
- Front-Facing Camera
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android tablet with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your tablet battery should be 80-85% charged. If your tablet goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your tablet might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your tablet to the latest Android 4.1.1 custom ROM update.
HOW TO: Install Android 4.1.1 AOSP ROM on Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 (WiFi)
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Tab 10.1. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Galaxy Tab 10.1, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Galaxy Nexus and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your tablet.
Just To Remember:
- This Android 4.1.1 AOSP is only for Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510 and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Tab 10.1 on other carriers.
- My phone had ClockworkMod recovery installed. Please make sure you have this recovery!
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Galaxy Tab 10.1 USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 – Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 – In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to ROM zip and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step for the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 10 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Galaxy Tab 10.1 should have Android 4.1.1 firmware installed on your tablet! Go to Settings >About tablet to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!
If you’re still not interested in trying out Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) on your phone, try some alternatives: