Update HTC ChaCha to ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9 Custom Firmware
HTC ChaCha is one of the few Android phones with a full physical QWERTY keyboard. HTC dropped support for the phone after they decided not to release an official ICS Android 4.0 software update for ChaCha. But without saying, the developers community got hard at work to bring CM9 (based on Android 4.0.4) to HTC ChaCha.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to install Android 4.0 ICS (CyanogenMod 9 – CM9) on HTC ChaCha. Please make sure yo backup your data as given below because this tutorial will require you to wipe all your apps and personal data. Let’s move on to the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
There is a long list of known issues in this custom ROM. Here they are:
1. Front camera is not working
Workaround: not available.
Suggestions: none; avoid switching to front camera.
Steps to reproduce: Open camera -> Switch to front camera.
2. Volume panel switching causes a crash in Trebuchet
Suggestions: Use it once or twice maximum.
Steps to reproduce: Settings -> Sound -> Volume panel -> Change through all the settings. After each change press OK. Trebuchet will crash.
3. Key X is not working
As with the CM and SuperOSR builds, bear in mind that the keyboard it comes with might be other than for your region.
Workaround: new mappings.
Suggestions: as with the other thread, post your CID, use KeyEventDisplay to post the keycodes and it will get fixed..
4. Wi-Fi Scan button does nothing
Workaround: Wi-Fi Off – Wi-Fi On.
Steps to reproduce: Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Scan -> No results (new results).
5. Movie Studio is not working
6. Wifi cannot lock on hidden hotspots
Symptom: wifi won’t lock on hidden hotspot
Workaround: unhide the hotspot so the phone locks. You can hide it back after this. If you leave away from the wifi but keep the phone wifi on, it will relock once you are back
Steps to reproduce: Phone wifi off -> Hide hotspot SSID -> phone wifi on (it won’t lock)
7. Sometimes mobile data seems to get off
Workaround: you have to go to mobile networks and switch it off and on again
8. No PIN code input is shown
Description: When the SIM is locked and the PIN screen is shown, entering input will not display any characters.
Workaround: None at the moment. Input is still active but it is not shown.
Suggestion: Carefully type in your PIN and continue.
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC ChaCha to connect it with the computer. Download HTC ChaCha USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your HTC ChaCha to ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9.
How to Install ICS Android 4.0.4 on HTC ChaCha
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install ICS Android 4.0.4 on HTC ChaCha. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9 ROM tutorial is only for HTC ChaCha. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed and your ChaCha is ROOTED.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 - Connect and mount your HTC ChaCha USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the ICS ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to ICS ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step again for the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC ChaCha should now have ICS Android 4.0.4 CM9 installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!