Samsung (T-Mobile) Exhibit II 4G is probably one of those Android phones that might not get the official Android 4.1.1 jelly Bean software update, but that doesn’t stop the developers community to bring ICS to Exhibit II 4G T679 with more mods, tweaks and features. Android 4.0.4 ICS is now available to be flashed/installed on the T-Mobile Exhibit II 4G T679.
As you read further, we will guide you through the entire process of how to update Exhibit II 4G T679 to Android 4.0.4 ICS (CyanogenMod 9 – CM9) custom firmware using CWM recovery. Make sure you backup all your data from the tips and tools given below as you will have to wipe everything in order to install this firmware.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
What seems to work
- Bluetooth audio
- Amazon Market
- HW accelerated display
- Headphone detection
- Microphone detection
- T-Mobile Wifi-calling (some users have issues)
- init.d support
- CIFS networking
- Haptic keyboard feedback
- Streaming video
What does not work (NO ETAs)
- USB tethering
- Bluetooth audio for sip/skype/etc
- Camera NOTE: Now works in panoramic mode only.
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Exhibit II 4G to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Exhibit II 4G USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and install CM9 Android 4.0.4 ICS on Exhibit II 4G T679.
How to Install Android 4.0.4 ICS on Exhibit II 4G T679
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 4.0.4 ICS (CM9) on Exhibit II 4G T679. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Exhibit II 4G, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Samsung Exhibit II 4G and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure.
Just To Remember:
- This Android 4.0.4 ICS is only for Exhibit II 4G and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Exhibit II 4G on other carriers.
- Please make sure you have ClockworkMod recovery installed.
- This is a third-party custom firmware, not an official software update.
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your Exhibit II 4G USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the Android 4.0.4 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 – Now to get in the recovery mode. Switch on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 – In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to Android 4.0.4 ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Exhibit II 4G now has Android 4.0.4 ICS installed on the phone. Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!