How to Update HTC ChaCha to ClockworkMod Recovery
HTC ChaCha is one of the few Android phones with a full physical QWERTY keyboard. Even thought the phone has a number of features and functionality, you can always enjoy more features with the help of system tweaks and mods. How to get them? First you need a custom recovery.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the entire process of how to install ClockworkMod custom recovery on HTC ChaCha. Please make sure you backup your data as a precaution because you never know when something might get wrong. Let’s move on to the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC ChaCha to connect it with the computer. Download HTC ChaCha USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your HTC ChaCha to ClockworkMod custom recovery.
How to Install ClockworkMod v184.108.40.206 Recovery on HTC ChaCha
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install ClockworkMod recovery on HTC ChaCha. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This ClockworkMod recovery tutorial is only for HTC ChaCha. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 – Connect and mount your HTC ChaCha USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the PH06img.zip and CWM zip files to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Go to Settings -> Power and uncheck Fastboot option.
Step 5 – Then turn off your phone.
Step 6 – Now, get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 – In ClockworkMod recovery, scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to CWM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC ChaCha should now have ClockworkMod recovery installed on your phone!
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!