Update Sprint Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0.4 AOKP ICS Custom ROM
Sprint Galaxy Nexus users are still waiting for the official Jelly Bean Android 4.1 OTA update to arrive on their phones. Android 4.1 was announced at the Google I/O this year and is only available on the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S. For those who love Android 4.0 ICS, AOKP version version brings you tons and tons of modifications tweaks built right into the ROM while letting you enjoy the stock Android experience.
As you continue reading below, we will guide you through the process of how to install Android 4.0.4 AOKP on the Sprint Galaxy Nexus with complete steps. Remember, your data will be wiped and you will lose all your settings and apps. Make sure you backup your data as given in the coming steps below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Android 4.0.4 ICS Changes Since Milestone 5:
- Removed FB sync
- Added ability to hide sender and/or message body in notifications (Mms)
- Added CM9 T-Mobile theme manager
- Added Sense 4 style Task switcher (you have the option of choosing from stock/web os/sense 4 now)
- Added ability to play boot sound (disabled by default) — read instructions in ROM Control > General > Boot sound
- added delayed ring feature to Phone
- added Emoji to Mms (enable in Mms settings)
- added AOKP wallpapers app
- added USB tether toggle,
- added AOKP clock widgets
- added notification counters
- new boot animation
- added nav bar widgets (must add nav bar widgets button/long press button in nav bar settings and add some widgets to play with!)
- added AOKP stats (www.stats.aokp.co) — you can opt out
- added bluewall firewall – RC > General UI > Less Notification Sounds — limits the number of notification sounds an app can play per X seconds, so like 1 GTalk ping/30s, but notifications will still be coming in
- improved weather code
- added “copy to clipboard” option in “Share” dialogs throughout Android
- added hardware info in about screen
- added new music layout to lockscreen (you can choose between old and new)
- added nfc toggle
- added nfc polling settings (Settings > More > NFC polling mode)
- made lockscreen weather prettier
- fixed DRM issues
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update Sprint Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.0.4 AOKP custom ROM.