How to Update Sony Xperia Play to Gin2JellyBean Custom Firmware
Sony Xperia Play users are still not sure if their Android phone will be updated to the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean or will be left out to support newer Sony Xperia devices. You can move on to Android 4.0 ICS custom firmware, but still no signs of the official update. Gin2JellyBean is an Android 2.3.4 based custom ROM that brings a Jelly Bean themed ROM for you.
In this tutorial, we will explain and guide you through the process of how to install Gin2JellyBean (Android 2.3.4) on Sony Xperia Play with complete steps and precautionary steps that you should take while installing custom ROMs. Let’s go to the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
- Numeric battery
- More internal Storage
- ICS Launcher and Lockscreen
- ICS Statusbar
- ICS Boot Animation
- Xperia S System Themes
- Xperia S music player
- SenseMe channels
- Playstation Pocket
- Xperia Smart Keyboard
- Xperia S Dialer
- Fully functional camera, no errors
- Phenomenal battery life!
- Great Speed
- Ram Optimization
- Suitable for daily use
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Sony Xperia Play to connect it with the computer. Download Sony Xperia Play USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your Sony Xperia Play to Gin2JellyBean Android 2.3.4 custom firmware.