Install Tablet UI on Galaxy Nexus I9250 with Paranoid Android 4.1 Hybrid ROM
Ever wanted to have the Android 4.1 tablet UI on the big screen of your Galaxy Nexus? Now you can, thanks to Paranoid Android custom ROM which is an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based ROM that brings the Hybrid mode comprising of the phone and tablet UIs in one ROM. You will be able to use apps in both the mods and try out both tablet UI and phone UI on your Galaxy Nexus.
In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of how to install Android 4.1 JB Paranoid custom ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250. We have written complete steps with precautionary steps that you should take before flashing any custom ROM on your phone.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Nexus USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your phone to the latest Paranoid Android 4.1 JB custom ROM.
HOW TO: Install Paranoid Android 4.1 ROM on Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Paranoid Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Nexus. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Galaxy Nexus, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Galaxy Nexus and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure and read the complete tutorial before actually performing it.
Just To Remember:
- This Paranoid Android 4.1 (phone/tablet UI with Hybrid Mode) is only for Galaxy Nexus (I9250, maguro) and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Galaxy Nexus on other carriers.
- My phone had ClockworkMod recovery installed. Please make sure you have this recovery!
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy Nexus USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the Hybrid UI ROM zip file and Google Apps to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down and Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to Hybrid UI ROM zip and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step for the Google Apps file as well.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Galaxy Nexus should have Paranoid Android 4.1 firmware installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!