Update HTC Evo 4G to Android 4.1 CM10 Jelly Bean Firmware
HTC Evo 4G users, have you been waiting for the official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean software update? Well, we don’t think that is going to come anytime soon. In the meanwhile, you can try CM10 Android 4.1 firmware. Remember, this is still in the early test builds and cannot be used as the daily to use ROM because many features don’t work.
In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of installing CM10 Android 4.1 on HTC Evo 4G with complete steps. We have even mentioned all the precautionary points you should keep in mind before performing anything. Remember, this is not an official Jelly Bean update. Let’s move on to the tutorial below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
- Phone calling
Not Working / Partially Working:
- All video playback causes hot reboot
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC Evo 4G to connect it with the computer. Download HTC Evo 4G USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and install Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on HTC Evo 4G.
How to Install CM10 4.1 Jelly Bean on HTC Evo 4G
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CM10 4.1 Jelly Bean on HTC Evo 4G. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This tutorial is only for HTC Evo 3D. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This is not an official HTC software update. This is a custom third-party ROM.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed and your phone is rooted.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 - Connect and mount your HTC Evo 4G USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the CM10 Android 4.1 ROM zip file and Google Apps to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to CM10 Android 4.1 ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Perform this same step again for Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC Evo 4G should now have Android 4.1.1 (CM10) installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please post them up in the comments below!