How to Update HTC One X to CM10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Firmware
CM10 for HTC One X is being developed and maintained by multiple developers. Another CM10 is here by the name of CyanogenMod 10 – Endeavor Unleashed. This ROM seems to have less number of bugs and works better on the HTC One X.
In this tutorial, we will guide you through the process of installing CM10 Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1 ROM on HTC One X with complete steps. We have also mentioned the precautionary steps you should take below in case your phone stops working. Remember, this is not an official update. It is just a custom ROM.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
- Mobile network (data, calls, sms etc.)
- Bluetooth tethering
- Hardware video decoder
- Hardware acceleration (2D/3D)
- MIC (recording)
- Camera (rear and front)
- Charger light
- WIFI Hotspot
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC One X to connect it with the computer. Download HTC One X USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update HTC One X to CM10 custom firmware.
How to Install CM10 Custom ROM on HTC One X
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CM10 Jelly Bean ROM on HTC One X. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This CM10 ROM tutorial is only for HTC One X. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This is not an official HTC software update. This is a custom third-party ROM.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed on your phone.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 - Connect and mount your HTC One X USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the CM10 ROM zip file and Google Apps zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to CM10 ROM zip file and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Repeat this step again for the Google Apps zip file.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC One X should now have CM10 custom ROM installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please post them up in the comments below!