How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100G to Android 4.0.4 CM9 RC2 ICS Firmware
CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) development is almost complete with the final release just around the corner in the coming weeks. CM9 RC2 is now available for the Galaxy S2 I9100G variant. If you have not yet received the official Android 4.0.4 firmware update for your phone, then you should give this custom ROM a try.
This is not an official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update, just a custom ROM. In this tutorial, we will guide you how to install Android 4.0.4 ICS (CM9) on your Galaxy S2 I9100G with complete steps. This tutorial requires you to have a rooted Galaxy S2 with a custom recovery (ClockworkMod) installed on your Android phone.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S II to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S II USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your Samsung Galaxy S II should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and install CM9 RC2 Android 4.0.4 ICS on your Galaxy S2 I9100G.