Update Nexus 7 to ClockworkMod 6 Custom Recovery
ClockworkMod 6 custom recovery is now available for download. CWM6 was first released for the Galaxy Nexus and then other devices followed after that. Lots of Android devices now have CWM6 for download. We will do a tutorial for others soon.
In this tutorial, we will guide you how to install ClockworkMod 6 (CWM6) custom recovery on your Nexus S over its current stock recovery that doesn’t allow you to install custom ROMs, tweaks and other mods.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Nexus 7 tablet to connect it with the computer. Download Nexus 7 USB drivers with Android SDK! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android tablet with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your tablet battery should be 80-85% charged. If your tablet goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, unlock bootloader or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Copy all the backup files from your SD card to your computer as internal memory will be wiped clean after unlocking the bootloader.
5. Your bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to unlock bootloader on Nexus 7.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below to install ClockworkMod 6 on Nexus 7.
How to Install ClockworkMod 6 on Nexus 7 Tablet – Custom Recovery
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install ClockworkMod Recovery 6 on Nexus 7. Please read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your device.
Just To Remember:
- This CWM Recovery 6 is only for Nexus 7 (grouper).
- Nexus 7 bootloader should be unlocked. See here: How to unlock bootloader on Nexus 7.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Android SDK from the Android Developers website and install with USB drivers.
Step 2 - Enable USB Debugging mode in your Nexus 7 tablet.
Step 3 - Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
NOTE: Skip Steps 1, 2, 3 if you already have them.
Step 4 - Download recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-grouper.img and copy/paste it in the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory.
Step 7 - Now go into Fastboot Mode on Nexus 7. How? Press Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text on the screen. This is bootloader mode.
Step 8 - Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
Step 9 - Type in the following command and press Enter.
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-grouper.img
Step 10 - Once completed, choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode.
That’s it. Your Nexus 7 will show you the new CWM 6 now.
If you run into any problems, don’t forget to drop a comment below and we will be happy to help you out.