How to Update HTC Amaze 4G to CM10 4.1 Jelly Bean Firmware
HTC Amaze 4G wasn’t going to stay behind for a long time. Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is now available for HTC Amaze 4G in the form of CyanogenMod 10 (CM10). One thing to be cleared is, this is NOT the final (or even near final) release of CM10. Only early builds have started popping up online. These builds are sure to have lots of bugs.
This tutorial will help you install CM10 on HTC Amaze 4G with all the required steps you will need. Like I said, there are many bugs and not working features. We have a full list below.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
- Very quick
- Music Playback (headphones, speaker)
- CPU management!
- BOTH internal and SD card
Things not working in HTC Amaze 4G:
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC Wildfire S to connect it with the computer. Download HTC Wildfire S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your HTC Amaze 4G to CM10 Android 4.1.
How to Install CM10 4.1 Jelly Bean on HTC Amaze 4G
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CM10 JB on HTC Amaze 4G. Please read every line carefully below. We suggest, read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your phone.
- This tutorial is only for HTC Amaze 4G (T-Mobile). Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed and your Amaze 4G is ROOTED.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 2 - Connect and mount your HTC Amaze 4G USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the CM10 ROM zip and Google Apps files to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to CM10 ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Perform this same step again for the Google Apps file now.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC Amaze 4G should now have CM10 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!