How to Update Nexus S 4G with Android 4.1 JRN84D Jelly Bean Firmware
Google / Samsung announced that they would be releasing the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update on the Samsung Nexus S as well, but they did not give any timelines on when exactly that update will start rolling out to the public.
Developers over at XDA-Developers have already found a way to update Nexus S 4G to Android 4.1 JRN84D build firmware. In this tutorial, we will explain how you can install 4.1 Jelly Bean JRN84D update on your Nexus S 4G.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
This is not an official update. Just a ported ROM which would obviously have some bugs in it as well.
- voice service
- Google Now (includes voice search)
- bluetooth media (all other bt works)
- project butter
- everything not listed below
- Face Unlock
- GPS lock (navigation works…just no GPS signal)
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Nexus S to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Nexus S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial on the next page and update your Nexus S 4G to the latest Android 4.1 JRN84D update.