How to Update Motorola Xoom WiFi to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean Firmware
Google announced the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for three devices at the Google I/O 2012 which would be getting the update in mid-July. Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Nexus S and Motorola Xoom are the first devices to experience Jelly Bean.
Thanks to XDA-Developers, Motorola Xoom users can also install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean JRO03C on their tablets now. This is not an official release, but an unofficial firmware of Android 4.1.1 for Xoom. In this tutorial, we will tell you how to install Android 4.1.1 on Motorola Xoom.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Motorola Xoom to connect it with the computer. Download Motorola Xoom USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android tablet with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your tablet battery should be 80-85% charged. If your tablet goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your tablet might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your tablet to the latest Android 4.1.1 custom ROM update.
UPDATE: CM10 with the latest Android 4.1.2 is now available for this Android phone. Read here for the tutorial.
HOW TO: Install Android 4.1.1 ROM on Motorola Xoom WiFi
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on Motorola Xoom WiFi. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Motorola Xoom WiFi, then this should not be any different for you.
However, for beginners, you need to root your Xoom WiFi tablet and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure.
Just To Remember:
- This Android 4.1.1 (JRO03C) is only for Motorola Xoom WiFi (Verizon) and I am not sure if it will work on the other variants of the Tab 10.1 on other carriers.
- My tablet had ClockworkMod recovery installed. Please make sure you have this recovery!
- Make a Nandroid backup of your previous phone set up before proceeding – for just in case anything goes wrong.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.1 JRO03C for Motorola Xoom WiFi and Google Apps on your PC, if you haven’t already.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Motorola Xoom WiFi USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the Android 4.1.2 ROM zip file and Google Apps zip files to your SD card. Make sure the files are in the SD card root, not in any directory.
Step 4 - Then turn OFF your tablet.
Step 5 - Now to get in the Bootloader Mode. Turn ON the tablet while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Volume Down and Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the Power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the Power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to Android 4.1.1 ROM zip and select it using the Power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
NOTE: Perform this same step again for the Google Apps zip file as well.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Motorola Xoom WiFi should have Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware installed on your tablet! Go to Settings >About tablet to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!
Hit +1 or LIKE to thank us!
If you’re still not interested in trying out Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) on your phone, try some alternatives: