Update Galaxy S2 to AOSP 4.0.4 IMM76I Custom ROM
People buy Nexus devices to enjoy the stock Android experience. Samsung Galaxy Nexus was launched with Android 4.1 on it, unmodified and completely pure version of Android. Samsung launches the rest of Galaxy series with their modified TouchWiz-ed Android, like the Galaxy S II and Galaxy S III. Now you can also experience stock Android on your Galaxy S2, thanks to a developer on XDA-Developer for creating a ROM, F1 GalaxyNexus.
F1 GalaxyNexus is built entirely out of the Android 4.0 ICS source code by Google. Some under-the-hood tweaks and optimizations have been made, but on top it is the same stock Android experience as found on the Galaxy Nexus and you can enjoy that on your Galaxy S2. In the tutorial below, we will tell you how you can install and enjoy Android 4.0 AOSP on your Samsung Galaxy S III GT-I9100.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Galaxy S2 AOSP ROM Details:
- Android ICS 4.0.4 (IMM76I – Android-4.0.4_r1.2)
- Latest CM Source Compiled Kernel
- All ICS Features and Apps (Nothing excluded from AOSP)
- No Visual Changes!
- Stock ICS Look and Feel
- This will turn your Samsung Galaxy S2 into a Galaxy Nexus
F1 Galaxy Nexus Features:
- Fully Deodexed
- Zipaligned APKs
- Rooted (Superuser)
- BusyBox Installed
- No 3rd Party App
- ZERO Bloatware
- Official ICS Bootanimation (From Official Nexus S 4.0.4 Firmware)
- Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery & Download)
- Galaxy S II Settings In The Launcher (Device Settings)
- Tweaked Scrolling Cache (Smooth Scrolling)
- Huge APN & SPN List (Thanks To CM)
- Patched Settings with F1 Version
- EXT4 File System Optimizations
- SD-Card read ahead Tweak
- Init.d Support
- Fully Working Mass Storage
- T9 Dialer Functionality
- Landscape Dialer Support
- Notification Toggles (Press and hold the settings icon in the notification bar to reveal them)
- 180 degree rotation enabled
- Both MTP/UMS Support (Settings>Storage>Press Menu>USB Computer Connection)
- Video Recording in MP4 with higher bitrate and Stereo Audio Recording
- Storage Option In Camera (Internal SD Card, External SD Card & USB Storage)
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S II to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S II USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your Samsung Galaxy S II should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and install Android 4.0 ICS AOSP ROM on your Galaxy S2 I9100.
HOW TO: Install Android 4.0 AOSP ICS ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install Android 4.0 AOSP ICS ROM on Samsung Galaxy S2. If you are used to installing custom ROMs on your Samsung Galaxy S2, then this should not be any different for you. However, for beginners, you need to root your Samsung Galaxy S II and install a custom recovery. Please Google that up if you are unsure.
- This tutorial is only for installing F1 Galaxy Nexus on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. Please do not try on any other Galaxy S2 variants.
- Your phone SHOULD be rooted.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Proceed at your own risk.
- Perform a Dalvik Cache wipe before proceeding from the recovery mode.
- Samsung KIES will NOT detect your phone after installing ROM NAME because it is a custom ROM.
- ClockworkMod recovery should be installed from before.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0 AOSP ICS ROM for Galaxy S2 to your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your Galaxy S2 USB memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the downloaded ZIP file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root (not in any folder).
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone and disconnect from the USB cable.
Step 5 - Now to get in the recovery mode. Switch on the phone while pressing and holding the Menu + Power buttons.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 7 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 8 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to the ZIP file that you copied to your SD card and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 9 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your Galaxy S2 should now have Android 4.0 AOSP ICS ROM installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify. No TouchWiz or modified skin should be installed.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.