HTC One S is a mid-range Android phone by HTC in their HTC One series. This phone offers great performance and features at a relatively lower cost. One S was rooted and bootloader unlock was available in the very early days after its release at the HTCDev.
TrickDroid is a free custom ROM for HTC One S that offers performance, speed and best battery life among other tons and tons of features the dev has mentioned. It can be flashed on HTC One S (UK based) with the S4 processor. Let’s proceed with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial 😉
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC One S to connect it with the computer. Download HTC One S USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Features of TrickDroid v5.1.0:
- Rooted with SuperSU
- UI Optimization
- Unsecured boot.img
- Newest BusyBox
- Excellent battery life
- GPU UI Rendering
- RAM Optimization
- sysro/sysrw permission
- Better CPU Performance
- init.d scripts support
- Improved EXT4 System
- Removed 3-dot menu by blubbers
- Removed bloatware
- Custom Bootanimation
- 1% stock battery
- Advanced Power Menu
- Extended Quick Settings
- Many other tweaks!
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your phone to the latest HTC One S TrickDroid custom firmware.
How to Install TrickDroid v5.1.0 on HTC One S
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install TrickDroid on HTC One S. Please read every line carefully below.
- This tutorial is only for HTC One S. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This is not an official HTC software update. This is a custom third-party ROM.
- Bootloader should be unlocked. How? –> How to Unlock Bootloader of HTC Phones.
- Make sure to use TWRP Recovery or you have to flash the boot.img of the ROM with fastboot in case you use ClockworkMod Recovery.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Download TrickDroid v5.1.0 (direct link) for HTC One S to your computer.
Step 2 – Connect and mount your HTC One S USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 – Now copy/paste the TrickDroid_v5.1.0.zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 – Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 – Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 – Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 – In ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 – Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 –Now using your volume keys, navigate to TrickDroid_v5.1.0.zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 – After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC One S should now have TrickDroid v5.1.0 installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please post them up in the comments below!