Root Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB on Galaxy S3 I9300
Samsung has started rolling out a new firmware today in UK which is an unbranded firmware, Android 4.0.4 build XXBLFB. We have already posted how to install I9300XXBLFB and now we’ll tell you how to root the firmware.
Rooting your Android 4.0.4 will allow you to install root apps that require full system access and will let you install also allow you to install a custom recovery i.e ClockworkMod and other tweaks. Let’s get on with the tutorial now.
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S III to connect it with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
Data can also be backed up using Samsung KIES for their devices, but if you backup data manually, you get more options what top choose from and it is very easy to move data across Android devices from different manufacturers, i.e moving Samsung Galaxy Note backup data to HTC One X.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and root your phone to the latest Galaxy S3 I9300 4.0.4 firmware.
How to Root Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB on Galaxy S3 I9300
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to update Samsung Galaxy S III to Android 4.0.4 XXBLFB. If you are used to installing official updates through ODIN on Samsung Galaxy devices, then this should not be any different for you. Please read every line carefully.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- This tutorial will wipe out all your data. Please backup all your data as given above.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as a precaution. No data will be lost though.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download CF-Root-SGS3-v6.4.zip for Galaxy S3 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 3 - Switch off your phone. Now go to Download Mode on your phone. How? Press and hold the Volume Down + Home buttons together, and then press the Power button till you see the construction Android robot and a triangle. Press Power again to confirm to enter into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Make sure you have your Galaxy S3 USB drivers installed on your computer.
Step 5 - Open ODIN on your computer. Connect your phone to your computer while your phone is in the Download Mode.
Step 6 - If your phone is connected successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes will turn yellow with the COM port number. This step might take some time.
Step 7 - Click on ‘PDA’ and select the “.TAR” file.
NOTE: In ODIN, do not touch any other options anywhere. Leave everything as it is. Make sure Repartition is NOT checked.
Step 8 - Now click on the Start button in ODIN. Installation process will start and would take a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - After the installation is completed, your phone will restart. After you see the home screen, unplug your phone from the computer.
That’s it. Your Samsung Galaxy S III has now been rooted on Android 4.0.4 build XXBLFB software update. Look for the SuperSU or Superuser in the apps list to verify.
If you run into any problems, feel free to drop us a comment below and we will reply you back ASAP with the fix or the solution to your problem.