Install CleanROM ICS on HTC One XL – Custom ROM Firmware
HTC One XL has already started getting custom ROMs which you can install and take advantage of your powerful Android phone. One of the best ROMs that I found is CleanROM. It has lots and lots of features that I’m sure all the AT&T HTC One XL users would love to use. It is super fast nad contains lots of mods and tweaks in the custom ROM.
CleanROM was designed to be a cleaned up AT&T Stock ROM with lots of performance and feature enhancements. All HTC and Google Apps are up to date as of 6/26/2012 and CleanROM is de-odexed and based on 1.88.707.2 RUU of HTC One XL.
Let’s look at some of the CleanROM features that it offers:
- Overclockable to 1.75GHZ but not by default. Use Zip in Post #2.
- Memory enhancements v2
- Linkify Removed!
- Extreme AT&T App de-bloating!
- Performance and Battery Tweaks
- Hacked Hotspot! (Optional)
- Extended Quick Settings
- Advanced Power Menu
- Button Remap Mod
- Percent Battery Mod (Optional)
- No AT&T WiFi in Wifi Settings or Status Bar!
- AT&T Voice Mail
- FM Radio
- ES File Explorer
- No Boot Sound
- Zip Aligned
- Jelly Bean Boot Animation
- Smooth Dithered Background
- init.d scripting
- Apps that can be uninstalled: Facebook, Twitter, Visual Voicemail, ES File Explorer, Fast Reboot
- On SD Card In CleanROM folder after flashing: ATT Hot Spot Hack, GSM Patch, Percent Battery, Remove Boot Sound, Remove OC, Standard Buttons – No APM!
Disclaimer: All the tools, mods or ROMs mentioned below belong to their respective owners/developers. We (TeamAndroid.com) or the developers are not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. We don’t have you on gun point to try out this tutorial
Make sure you have installed all your USB drivers for the HTC One XL to connect it with the computer. Download HTC One XL USB drivers! Apart from just the USB drivers, there are a few more things that you need to take care of.
1. You need to enable USB debugging mode. This helps to connect your Android phone with the PC. See here: How to Enable USB Debugging.
2. Your phone battery should be 80-85% charged. If your phone goes off suddenly because of battery, during flashing ROMs or installing mods and updates — your phone might go dead permanently. See here: How to Check Battery Percentage.
3. Backup all your important data that you might need as soon as your flash a new ROM, or make a backup for just in case, you never know when anything might go wrong. See below on how to backup data:
- Backup your SMS messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore SMS Messages.
- Backup Contacts, Gmail and Google Data. How? –> Sync with Google Sync.
- Backup Call History. How? –> How to Backup Call History.
- Backup WhatsApp Messages. How? –> How to Backup/Restore WhatsApp Messages.
- Backup APN Settings: GPRS, 3G, MMS Settings.
4. Your phone should be factory unlocked. Additional instructions for locked Android devices will be added in the tutorial for unlocking devices.
Now, let’s proceed with the tutorial below and update your phone to CleanROM ICS custom firmware.
How to Install CleanROM on AT&T HTC One XL
We have put together a detailed step-by-step instructions guide on how to install CleanROM on HTC One XL. Please read every line carefully below.
- This tutorial is only for HTC One XL (AT&T). Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
- Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding.
- This is not an official software update. This is a custom third-party ROM.
- Bootloader should be unlocked from the HTC Dev website.
- Make sure ClockworkMod Recovery is installed on your phone, and your One XL is rooted.
If you have fulfilled all the requirements above, then proceed to the actual tutorial.
Complete Step-By-Step Instructions:
Step 1 - Download CleanROM for HTC One XL to your computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount your HTC One XL USB (mass) memory on your computer using the USB cable.
Step 3 - Now copy/paste the ROM zip file to your SD card. Make sure the file is in the SD card root.
Step 4 - Then turn off your phone.
Step 5 - Now to get in the bootloader mode. Turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power buttons.
Step 6 - Follow the navigation instructions on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER and then go to RECOVERY.
Step 7 - Assuming you have ClockworkMod recovery, wipe data first. Then scroll down to “flash zip from SD card” and press the power button to select it.
Step 8 - Press the power button again and select “choose zip from sdcard”.
Step 9 -Now using your volume keys, navigate to ROM zip file and select it using the power button. Confirm the installation on the next screen and the installation procedure should start now.
Step 10 - After the installation completes, go to “+++++Go Back” and reboot the phone by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The phone will boot now and it might take about 5 minutes to boot on your first time. So, please wait.
That’s it! Your HTC One XL should now have CleanROM ICS custom ffirmware installed on your phone! Go to Settings >About phone to verify.
- Contacts may force close the first or second time when initially setting them up due to AT&T Contacts being removed.
- You should update SU Binaries immediately after install!
- You should set SU Default Access to “Grant” to avoid problems with some apps such as Root Explorer!
- Highly recommend disabling Fast Boot in Power Settings!
- Flash the Hotspot hack AFTER booting up ROM for the first time!
- If you Overclock you will get less battery. This is normal. It may or may not affect you. If you dont like it flash the “Remove OC.zip” int the CleanROM Folder.
Have fun playing with it! If you have any issues, please fire them up in the comments below!